Monday, 4 June 2012

Day 2 Reflections

Activities:
Ascend (from Timpohon Gate to Pendant Hut).
Dinner at Laban Rata.


Please reflect on the following questions:
1. What did you do when you are physically exhausted but you had yet to reach your destination?
What/who helped to encourage you to reaching your goal?
2. Do you think the journey tomorrow will be harder? How can you prepare yourself physically and mentally for it?


Post your reflection as a 'comment' below. Please remember to identify yourself by signing off your name.  

31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~Looi Chi Han

    Day 2

    Q1• I reminded myself again and again, it would be a waste of time, effort, money as I have already come so far I just gave up. Thus, even if I am very tired, I would press on. Furthermore, I wish to be someone who could use determination to accomplish tasks, no matter how hard they are. I want to use goal settings to move on. With all these encouraging and motivating thoughts, as well as a good ampount of rest, I managed to reach Pendant Hut as Group 1.5 :D

    Q2• Yes. I kept moving reminding myself that it was just a mountain, a mountain with us already so near to the peak. I also told myself to think that the worst case scenario would be that I can't do the VIA FERRATA. Furthermore, I also set goals, that I must reach the peak at the very least. I also tried to sleep as much as I could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done By: Chua Tuan Jin
    Q1. I kept pressing on to pendant hut as I knew I could rest there . I also kept thinking about something else to help me ignore my tiredness and it worked. Jarett encouraged me and my other friends also encouraged me to press on for pendant hut. In my mind, I was also thinking of my friends already at pendant hut resting. I wanted to rest too, so that encouraged me to press on for pendant hut.

    Q2. Yes, I do. To prepare for it physically, I will eat well and rest well for the summit push. I will also try to conserve my energy. To prepare for it mentally, I must have an idea on how the summit push will be likes the air will be thinner than ever. I will also have to rest well for the climb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.I started singing so that I will forget the pain.I also talked to friends, socialized and got to know them better.We also had a competition to look out for pitcher plants.
    2.YEs it will.i will be more prepared mentally that t will be tougher and i will tell myself that 'I am reaching"to motivate myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. - When I was physically exhausted, I would start looking around at my surroundings as the view on the mountain will always lift my spirits and make me forget about my pain. My groupmates would also often chat with me so that we can help each other to forget about the pain and tiredness

    - Yes, I prepared myself physically and mentally by making sure I eat and drink enough for the climb tomorrow. I also told myself that I have came very far already and I must not give up so easily just because of my fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matthew's Reflections
    I help push people so that they can reach the hut. I was extremely exhausted but when I reached Pendant Hut I felt so much so much relieved. Reaching the hut for instant noodles was my biggest motivation.
    Tomorrow the journey will definitely be harder but I will still try my best and push myself to the limits. I will be preparing myself by properly rehydrating myself.
    Today I learned that we must stick together and that we must keep encouraging each other as a leader I could have taken the trek slower, so that my team did not get altitude sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the second day, I felt that the juniors in my dorm (the girls) were very organised in terms of using the toilets. However, I was quite disappointed at some juniors who were taking their own sweet time packing although already being late. I was also particularly disappointed at one of the juniors who gave me attitude when I told her that she should hurry as the whole team was waiting for her and she responded that it was fun that the whole team was waiting for her and she continued packing as if she had the time of the world. So, I decided to do the 'countdown' method which Matthew always use. However, she still did not react to it and this has lead me to think, as a leader when I meet such a person what should I do. I feel that it is also important for everyone to understand that the world does not revolves around them and they ought to think about others. During the trek up to Pendant Hut, the energy was really high at first but as we go on the energy level was rapidly dropping so I tried really hard to keep everyone's spirits up by keeping my own spirits up and encouraging them. As we reached the second last hut, I could see that the juniors were tired but they were still hopeful and excited about the nice view and how worthwhile it would be in the end. I was touched by their attitude towards this whole trip and how they did not whine at all even though they were exhausted. I was also very glad to have Uncle Joe in my group as he really help in keeping my group less 'zombie-like' with his singing. About 500m more to Pendant Hut, and many of the juniors were too tired and most of them gave up in making it to Pendant Hut in time for the Via Ferrata briefing, but I was happy to have some who were stayed optimistic about. There were some who really wanted to go for the Via Ferrata, but they decided to stay as a team. Dion was one of them and I was very impressed by what he said which was, 'We are a team, we stay as a team'. In the end, we still split up so that those who really wanted to go for the Via Ferrata can go. So, I followed the group that wanted to go for the Via Ferrata and they were Valence, Dion, Odelia and Anurag. Valence, Dion, Odelia and me were together the whole time during our trek. Anurag however, decided to rush up all the way without the guide or anyone else. I blame myself for not stopping him. I also feel that he is not really being considerate ro the rest as we were trying real hard to keep up with his pace as he was leading. Moreover, he continued to rush us as he probably did not notice that we were all carrying a heavy bag and he was not carrying any. I hope that he would learn to empathize more in the future. During the trek, I was quite happy with my performance as a leader as I wanted to be a more encouraging leader and I was during the trek. I was also very amazed by the three juniors as they refused to give up and continued to push on even though it was past the briefing time. I personally think that tomorrow's summit trail would be extremely mentally challenging for the juniors and I ought to encourage and push the juniors who were around me. I also learnt my lesson from the day before and I definitely would force the juniors to sleep early no matter what excuses they have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kept on pushing forward as tired as I was, as I am a christian I kept a verse in my head that taught me to keep on pushing forward and this encouraged me to reach the top. Everyone also kept on encouraging each other to push forward and reach the top thus we all did it in the end. Yes, although the distance we had to climb was less, the air was thinner and we were all tired from the ascend from Timpohon Gate to Pendant Hut had also made us tired. I tried to sleep as early as possible to get enough sleep and energy for the summit climb on the next day.
    Marcus Chan S1-05

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) My Shoulders were aching badly because of my bag,so whenever i got too tired and could not move any longer, i place my bag on the floor,stretch and take a sip of water, this makes me feel better and allows me to continue trekking. Mr Dennis Lam, He encouraged me and the people around me to move on, when we were tired he told us to rest awhile and i am very grateful to him.

    2)I am sure it will be much harder since the air will be thinner,making it harder for us to breathe and that the steps would be much more steeper. In order to prepare myself,i must sleep earlier,eat,drink and exercise more.I must also tell myself to push on harder and believe in myself.

    ~Xavier Ng S1-08

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) I tried to set goals to where I wanted to reach before resting so that i could push myself during my summit climb. My friends who was infront of me also encouraged me because i kept telling myself to try to catch up with them.
    2)Yes. As it is more colder and steeper than today's route, it will be harder. In order to summit, I will keep on reminding myself that my goal is to reach the summit and I will push myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1.Today,the last 1.5km to reach Pendant Hut seemed simply impossible!I was very tired and my shoulders ached a lot as the hip belt did not help much because the bag was way too big for me.I also found it very hard to breathe as the air got thinner;or rather,the amount of oxygen got less..I think..Anyway,I kept thinking of the great sense of achievement I would get if I persevered.It really did help as I was able to move on.My group was a little behind schedule so if we wanted to reach Pendant Hut by 4pm for the briefing for Via Ferrata,we really needed to hurry.Just as I was about to give up,Matilda came along and encouraged me.I felt very touched.We were both hesitating to stop but also did not feel that we could keep up with the other few from group 3 who went ahead.That was when Joe came long...In a few minutes,we had made up our minds to just do our best no matter what time we reached Pendant Hut.
    2.I think it will be much easier tomorrow as we only have 2km or so uphill to travel.The rest of the journey should be downhill which would be easier.I am trying to have a peaceful night of rest though I know I might be exhausted tomorrow.So I'm trying not to think about it and rest with whatever little time we have left.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I felt weak and helpless whenever I was exhausted, but still had encouragement and motivation from my group members. I think Miss Sng and Joe encouraged me a lot, the other teachers and my friends too. Miss Sng told me to keep up the work and said many encouraging words to us, while Joe sang songs and joked around to keep our spirits up.

    2.It might be more difficult since the air will become thinner and the temperature will drop. I also heard that one part of the trek might be very steep. I think that I can prepare myself by sleeping earlier and to give myself some encouragements. Eating healthily and drinking more water will help me concur the high altitude sickness too. Keep telling myself that I can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. What did you do when you are physically exhausted but you had yet to reach your destination?
    What/who helped to encourage you to reaching your goal?
    I thought of the water at Pendant Hut(I had run out of water halfway and was very thirsty). My thirst helped me to each my goal.

    2. Do you think the journey tomorrow will be harder? How can you prepare yourself physically and mentally for it?
    I do think the journey tomorrow will be harder. I will sleep well and keep telling myself to persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1)What did you do when you are physically exhausted but you had yet to reach your destination?
    What/who helped to encourage you to reaching their goal?
    I woke up early in the morning at 5:30a.m. with several others,and,I found out that I wasn't trembling and having terrible headaches like the other day.This drew a thought of my very own little "achievement":
    I had gotten used to the high altitude and the cold temperatures!The day went smoothly until the climb started(after breakfast). The early parts of the climb was when more forested part of the mountain had to be conquered.The first part of the climb was not that treacherous but it was VERY SLIPPERY and we had to be more careful.At this point of time, everybody was much faster and more cheerful,so basically, everybody encouraged one another in the group-Group 1.We were pretty glad that we were the first and the fastest group and this satisfied us.As we progressed up the mountain, the terrain became more treacherous and more rocky. We had to be taking much bigger steps to keep up with the pace,but of course, it became less slippery.However, short drizzles would often annoy us when the clouds passed by.But we still supported each other.Along the way,I had a sprained ankle, and my teammates supported me through, but Ancel Cheong helped me the most, he stood by me through the pain, together with my senior, Matthew Goh.

    2)Do you think the journey tomorrow will be harder? How can you prepare yourself physically and mentally for it.
    I knew that tomorrow would be a longer and a more tiring day for all of us.And again,I was getting ready to "adapt" to the colder surroundings at 7 degrees Celsius.I have prepared myself with 4 layers of clothes-base layer 1, base layer 2, down jacket and a waterproof jacket.And for the bottom, I wore two base layers,a trackpants and an outer waterproof long johns.I have armed myself with two water bottles and several other items to protect myself from the treacherous environment.I did encourage the others and helped them packed their bags.They returned the favour by doing the same and their encouragement prepared me mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ~Pang Cheng Feng S101
    1) I think of the satisfaction of everyone and mine when we reach the summit of the mountain. I saw my friends struggling and helped them, so did they help me. We supported each other throughout the whole climb. The teamwork was strong and great. Marcus is one of the people who encouraged me the most.
    2) Tomorrow will definitely be more physically and mentally demanding. It is much harder and colder than what we had experienced. I prepared by staying focused and sleeping earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chin Yong
    1)I told myself that the hut was only nearby as I was hungry and reaching the hut would mean that I can relax and have a hot drink with my snacks.My friends in my group also encouraged me a lot and the hope to catch up with group 1 helped me to push myself.

    2)The journey tomorrow will definitely be harder as the summit will be colder(because the sun won't be out) and I will be a lot more tired due to the fact that we will be waking up at 12:45 a.m.
    I can prepare myself by sleeping earlier and eating slightly more for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1) I felt that my group was very bonded and was very cheerful even though the journey up was long and tiring. We kept talking to each other on the way up to pendant hut to forget our tiredness. It was not just words of encouragement or cheering other teammates on in our conversation, but we just talked about anything that came to our minds. We talked about food, school, teachers, family, friends and many more. This really helped me and many of us forget about our tiredness as we talked and trekked. I feel that this was what helped many of the weaker ones in my group to reach pendant hut faster.

    We also took rests frequently at every rest hut to keep allow us to recharge. Some of us even waited more than 15mins for the slower ones in the group as we reached some of the huts at different timings.

    2) The trip tomorrow would definitely be harder than the climb to pendant hut. As it rained the day before we started the climb, I predict that the summit climb would be much colder than last year. I brought more clothing and warmer clothing to protect myself from the cold. I would also try not to think of the cold and the distance we would have to walk and to carry on until we reach our destination

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greg Lim
    1. What did you do when you are physically exhausted but you had yet to reach your destination?
    What/who helped to encourage you to reaching your goal?
    I took out something to eat.Two friend and a guide keep pushing me up.
    2. Do you think the journey tomorrow will be harder? How can you prepare yourself physically and mentally for it?
    Yes, I keep think of going fast to do Via Ferrate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. What did you do when you are physically exhausted but you had yet to reach your destination?
    I felt that my group was very bonded and had teamwork spirit.As i was in group 2,some of us were exhausted and lagged behind so we encouraged them by talking all the way till we reached Timpohon Gate and we even motivated them by continueing the conversation by talking about anything and everything especially food! haha :) this really helped me and many of us forget about our tiredness as we talked and trekked on to reach pendant hut but as some of us trekked quite fast , we spilted up at timpohon gate where Mr Teoh had to decide on whether to let some of the faster us follow Mr Dennis to climb up to reach Pendant Hut first and not wait for the slower so that we could make it in time for the Via Ferretta training the next day.And thats how Group 1.5 existed ! with me, Qadirah, Kai Ferng, Chin Yong and Chi Han. The climb was tiring and Mr Lam keep telling us we were reaching soon but we motivated each other by food and continuos chatting too ! in the end we reached in time around 3.15pm where me and Qadirah enjoyed ourselves eating cupnoodles ! :D
    2. Do you think the journey tomorrow will be harder? How can you prepare yourself physically and mentally for it?
    The trip tomorrow would be much much harder than the climb to pendant hut. As we would be starting the climb in the wee hours around 1am , it would be dark and definitely much harder to climb and on higher altitude and it may even rain.With slippery rocks and water, more casualties would definitely happen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dion Low

    1) I tried to get a song stuck inside my head so I could forget the pain and soreness my legs had. My encouragement came from my group as the teacher leading us, Ms Sng, and also my group members who were all persevering kept me going.
    2) I think the climb would be harder tomorrow will be tougher as the climb will be steeper and the air would be thinner so it would be harder to breathe. Physically, I can put on many layers so that I can overcome the cold weather. Mentally, I would keep telling myself, 'The faster I reach the summit, the faster I can come down to rest'.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What did you do when you are physically exhausted but you had yet to reach your destination? What/who helped to encourage you to reaching your goal?

    - I snacked on the snacks (Oreo :D) on the way up in the huts and I imagined myself eating in Pendant Hut on the top of the mountain. At one of the last few huts, Mr Liu recommended me to transfer from group 1 to group 2 with 3 more of my friends because we could not catch up with our group. I knew that Mr Liu was taking into consideration the thoughts of the group 1 as we were slowing them down and it would be easier for us to climb at our pace. In group 2, my friends motivated me to climb by cheering me on :D. I also wanted to reach Pendant Hut as soon as possible because I wanted to eat the cup noodles I brought up :P

    Do you think the journey tomorrow will be harder? How can you prepare yourself physically and mentally for it?

    - I think that the journey will be harder because the slopes at low's peak are very slippery and the temperature at the higher parts of the mountain is very low. I can prepare myself by drinking a sufficient amount of water before the summit push and eat enough food tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1. When I was physically exhausted, I had " inspiration talks" with a few people- Ming Yi, Valence and Dion xD where we encouraged each other to not give up. Via ferrata was also my motivation as I wanted to do it since it sounded interesting and I wanted to reach there before the briefing started.
    2. I think the journey tomorrow will be tougher as we are already tired and would only have a few hours of sleep before setting out for the summit. Plus, the air will be much thinner and that would make it harder to breathe. I can prepare myself physically by wearing enough layer of clothes so that I won't feel too cold. I can also prepare myself physically by trying to get as much sleep as possible. I can prepare myself mentally by telling myself that the view will be better higher up on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1.I kept telling myself not to give up and push on until my goal.My friends and teachers all helped encourage me on the way up so I didn't give up.

    2.Yes.Have a good rest at night and eat well so that you will be prepared for the climb the next day.Look at the positive side of things and continue climbing up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please reflect on the following questions:
    1. What did you do when you are physically exhausted but you had yet to reach your destination?
    What/who helped to encourage you to reaching your goal?
    2. Do you think the journey tomorrow will be harder? How can you prepare yourself physically and mentally for it?

    I motivated myself by thinking about how great it would be to reach the summit and I also had encouragement from my friends and teachers.
    Yes. I will try to rest and tell myself not to give up too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 1) I encouraged myself by giving words of encouragement to myself and tried to play my favourite songs in my head so that i could walk in the beat.
    For my first goal, I did not manage to fulfill it because it was too cold and I did not have enough warm clothing to keep me warm and i also turned around because it was hard to breathe in the cold, thin air. For mr second goal, i fulfilled it by talking more to my teammates.

    2) Yes. I think so because we are high up on the mountain which makes my bag very heavy when we ascend, the air will be colder and thinner. I must get a good nights' rest and try to lighten my weight load by unpacking some stuff to leave in Pendant Hut.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1) I told myself that I am nearing the huts, and thanks to Matthew, I was able to hold on. Motivating others also helped to motivate myself, like setting standards for both yourself and others. For once, I realised the importance of motivation.

    2) I definitely know the journey would be hard, but I will keep climbing to the summit. I will keep reminding myself to keep going and conquer the mountain. I will also hydrate myself to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  28. -I made sure that I was properly hydrated and told myself that I must try harder and persevere. What helped encourage me was the fact that despite them being tired as well, my friends still pushed on and encouraged each other.

    -I think the journey up the mountain will be much harder as it would be very cold and we have to wake up at midnight for breakfast and start summiting. I can prepare myself by getting a good rest and making sure that my bag isn't carrying unnecessary stuff that would make my bag heavier.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I rested for awhile, and told myself that either way i still had to move on, and might as well go now, and rest later. i had a inspirational circle with some others, where we would rest and motivate others to move on. We also split from our group as we wanted to make it in time for the briefing of ViaFerrata.
    Yes, it most probably would be, as it is going all the way up and then coming down again and we will not get much sleep.
    I would prepare myself by drinking and trying my best to rest well.I will most probably never be able to climb MTKK every again, so i have to do it this time. Once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Day 2 Reflections:
    Usually, when I've yet to reach my destination, especially when it's a few more meters to the nearest rest hut, I would either push on and try my best or I would take short rests in between before continuing. Luckily, I've got helpful friends who encouraged me non-stop. Even the guides waited for me and advised me to take a rest and drink some water. I'm really thankful to them. Some of them even offered me dehydration water for me to drink. The amazing thing is that I can barely remember their names but they remembered mine. They were super friendly and I was so grateful to be guided by such people. After reaching the Pendant Hut, I thought about how hard the journey through the Summit Trail would be. It would get harder as we get higher. In my opinion, my self esteem is quite low so I tend to give up (sometimes) easily. What I'll do is that I'll forget about everything else and try to push myself. Slow and steady. I don't mind going slow as long as I reach my destination. :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1. I pushed myself forward and tried to tell myself that I was almost there. The teacher, my partner and my PSL's also gave me a lot of emotional support to push myself forward all the way, although I was quite slow they bared with me all through and for that I am grateful.

    2. Yes, we have been warned that tomorrow's journey shall be harder although it seems shorter, so as to prepare myself, I mentally prepared myself by expecting nothing but worst to happen and tried to go through on what I would do when it happened.

    ReplyDelete