Monday, 4 June 2012

Day 3 Reflections

Activities:
Waking up at 1.30am and making the way up to the summit.
Descending the mountain to Timpohon Gate.
Transfer to Shangri-la Hotel.


Reflect on the following question:
Despite the hardship and challenges you faced, was the climb worthwhile (be it you reached the summit or not)? Why? 


Post your reflection as a 'comment' below. Please remember to identify yourself by signing off your name. 

29 comments:

  1. ~Looi Chi Han

    Q!• The climb was definitely worthwhile. Basically, I felt that the experience was definitely perfect.
    In elaboration: By waking up at 1 am with a slight dizzy head, I felt that I should press on. Furthermore, during the climb, the air grew very thin, my entire body was aching and was very tired, the peak to me was still very far away. However, with motivation, I moved on. Furthermore, I got lost along the way around the peak when I followed two people whom I thought were tour guides as they helped me out.Once I realized they weren't, I waited for the group behind me. After waiting for a long time with no sight of them, I panicked and ended up following another small group, till I caught sight of an SST group. All o these experiences were inexpressible with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done By: Chua Tuan Jin
    It was not really worthwhile but still worthwhile. It was not really worthwhile as I did not reach the summit although I would have reached the summit. Since Low's Peak is a 'small mountain', I climbed half of Low's Peak when Mr Dennis said it was too cold and that we had to come down. It was worthwhile as I knew I could climb to the summit and that I made new friends and gained a lot of experience. The climb down was tiring but fruitful as my group was the fastest group down and we got to rest for the longest time. The five hour fifteen minutes climb down 6km was most memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it was. It was a great experience getting to the top and submitting thee climb.But what made it worthwhile was that I got to make new friends, and got to know them better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was worthwhile and a great experience for me. I enjoyed the view at the summit and the sense of achievement upon reaching the summit. I was also able to make many new friends during the climb as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew's Reflection
    Today when I reached the summit I felt extremely relieved for all the tiredness I suffered during the trip. Although some people did not make it to the top I am extremely proud of them for they tried their very best.
    - I learnt that I must more carefully care for the people in my team. I should keep control of the team also. Without a teacher's guidance it was difficult to keep control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the day of the summit trail, i was quite down as many of the juniors had high altitude sickness so they could not go for the summit trail. However, I decided not to let this affect my spirits and it was already impressed that they all made it to Pendant Hut which should be already mentally and physically challenging for all of them. As we trekked up, the juniors were all silent and I could feel as if they are regretting this already. So, I decided to be hyper to make their energy level go up and hopefully they would be more energetic. However, my efforts were in vain and I turn out to be a little annoying with being hyper. Anyway, I still continued to be hyper hoping that it would work out and I learnt that it was really tough to stay hyper alone. On the way up, Uncle Joe made us look at the stars and I was totally amazed. It was one of the most memorable sights I have ever seen during the whole trip. As we moved on our group broke up and I was alone with Valence and Rachel. I could see that Valence was pushing herself really hard as she was also carrying Matilda's and her stuff (they shared the load of the bag). We kept moving on until we met group 2 and we splited up again and I went with Rachel. On the way, we met Keen Yung and Wai Yan(who was very sickly) but we(me, Rachel and Keen Yung) encouraged him and it was quite a heartwarming sight when Keen Yung tried to encourage Wai Yan and even lended Wai Yan his balaclava. Overall, I felt that I was becoming a more encouraging and supportive leader which is what I wanted to be, even though I realised I too much too lenient in the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it was very worthwhile as I got to bond and get to make new friends and strengthen the friendships I had with my friends. It also made me realise that the mountain could bring ou the worse in people and that it could also bring out the best in people as it all depended on how we took on challenges in life. Thus, it was important that we have a positive outlook at life so that we take on all challenges in life positively.
    Marcus Chan S1-05

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly,I did not reach the summit of Mount kota kinabalu, I had altitude sickness,however,i felt the climb was worthwhile since i had a clear view of the scenery at the hut which i stopped. I have accomplished my goal and i am proud of it.

    ~Xavier S1-08

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. I have reached the summit and my goal has been accomplished. I have also learnt that independence is very important as you cannot really rely much on people in the mountain. Mental ability was also very important as if i did not push myself, i probably would not have reached the summit.
    ~Low Kai Ferng S1-08

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did face many challenges and hardships but found it very worthwhile.The feeling of satisfaction and the view is also glorious.I was dumbstruck and stared in awe.To have acheived something I had wanted for so long made me feel a rush of ecstasy that inspired me in a way.I knew that I was in love with each second of that lovely moment.I also felt so very satisfied and pleased with myself because I knew,that I had given it my all.Amusingly,even though it was freezing cold,I fell asleep at a rock where I ended my climb.I felt for around 1 hour.How awkward I felt when I woke up.I could barely keep my eyes open!How funny!I wanted to burst out laughing but the guide took my hand and started leading me down.The journey was totally different from what I imagined.I remember being horrified at first,but alls well that ends well!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the climb was indeed worthwhile. I did not really reached the summit, I was 100m away from the summit before I gave up. I think it was still worthwhile s I heard many people encouraging me and make me know how people care about each other. I also knew that I had tried my very best and know what is my limit, as well as not trying to push myself too hard. I had to admit I was a bit disappointed and regretted not climbing that 100m, but despite all that, I was glad I still managed to reach the base of the summit. The experience was really priceless. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~Pang Cheng Feng S101
    The climb was very worthwhile. I do not think I can recall another thing as worthwhile than this trip. I did not make it to the top, yet I learned a lot. Friendship, synergy, integrity, every single thing is important. The amount of things I have learnt was worth the effort I put in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chin Yong

    The climb was really worthwhile reason being the view at the summit is amazing and watching the stars while the sun wasn't up was also amazing as it is something u can't see such a sight in Singapore.I also made new friends during the hardships faced up there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enoch Yang

    The climb was worthwhile even though I did not reach the summit. I stayed at one of the huts at sayat sayat to take care of the people who could not continue with the climb. I felt that it was the right decision not to continue climbing as I already had some mountain sickness that might had worsened if I had continued with the climb. Also, if I continued with the climb, a guide would have to stay at the hut with those who could not continue with the climb. As the guide knew more about the mountain and was much fitter than I was, I felt that it was better that I let the guide bring the group up.

    The trek down was much longer than I expected but I felt that the arrangement of the descent was very good. As those who did not summit or go for the Via Ferrata reached Pendant Hut first, they would be able to descend first and not stay at Pendant Hut and waste time. I felt that this arrangement was better and helped us to reach Timpohon Gate faster than last year. I was also impressed by the strength and determination of the juniors as they did not complain much and were able to make it down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greg Lim
    Despite the hardship and challenges you faced, was the climb worthwhile (be it you reached the summit or not)? Why?
    Yes it gives me experience and I will be more prepared the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Despite the hardship and the challenges you faced, was the climb worthwhile(be it you reach the summit or not)? Why?
    I did reach the summit,but with lots of hardship.The rocky surface,the
    white ropes,the harnesses,the chilling temperatures,and the risky height.I took several rests on the way up and slept halfway up,when the sky was still full of stars,it was incredibly beautiful.Despite all these hardship and challenges,I found the climb worthwhile.This climb taught me the importance of endurance and perseverance needed to conquer challenges facing the way.This climb taught me to persevere all the way no matter what hardships or challenges comes ahead of you as the future may be unpredictable.The climb also had taught me that it takes a lot of courage to conquer the mountain and it had gotten my facts about some matters.Example:It is not the fear of heights, it is the fear that you might fall.Another example:takes a lot more courage to stop and admit that you have to give up and know your limits than continue with what you can't cope with.The scenery at the summit was truly breathtaking and it was totally worth the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes it was worthwhile.As I look back at the view from how much I have climb, l found that I had climbed a lot and I was proud of myself.

    Done by Ng Yu Yang

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dion Low

    I found the climb worthwhile. Although I did not reach the summit, this climb taught me how to endure and persevere no matter what hardships and challenges faced as the future may have many challenges. It was also because that the climb had taught me that it takes courage to climb the mountain as for me, I had a fear of heights, but it takes even more courage to stop and say that I want to turn back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, the climb was worthwhile although I did not reach the summit. The climb to Pendant Hut was challenging and gave me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I did not reach the summit because of the altitude sickness I got at Pendant Hut. Due to my altitude sickness, I couldn't even start the summit push. I was disappointed in myself at that time for not being able to reach that I almost cried. This has also taught me to understand my limits and not to push myself too hard as it is not worth taking the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Odelia Goh
    1. It was very worthwhile although I only reached the 8km mark and stopped there as I had tried my best and the view was fantastic :DD

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes. I got to see an amazing view and I was happy as I managed to overcome altitude sickness. I had also tried my best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was VERY worthwhile inspite of the high altitude with lead to breathing difficult which i managed to overcome.I managed to reach the top thanks to Matthew who motivated us( me ,chinyong and marcus) to get to the top.The view was absolutely awesome and breathtaking.The climb up was steep and challenging but I managed to overcome difficulties and felt a sense of great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Despite the hardships and challenges that i had faced, the climb was indeed worthwhile even though i did not reach the summit. Although everyone thought that it was not worthwhile, I felt that at least i was able to climb up halfway to the summit unlike those who had altitude sickness or was too cold to continue climbing and enjoy the awesome view of kota kinabalu. I was also able to experience what a mountain climber could could enjoy at the summit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Although i did not make it all the way up the mountain i felt that i did well as i climbed 6 km.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Though the climb was hard, I managed to press on to the Sayat-Sayat Hut. It was a difficult climb. I wanted to continue, but the altitude sickness was wearing me out. I could not help but stop there and stay at the hut. But through this series of events, it has told me that not only the results are important, but the process is important, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that it was very worthwhile as I would have never climbed up a mountain if not for this trip. Despite the many hardships and challenges I faced, I still managed to at least get 200m away from the summit and I could see the view above the clouds. I had to turn around as it was too cold for me. But the experience was great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes it was worthwhile as even though i did not get to the summit, it was worthwhile to know that i have gone very far, and as i would never have the chance to do it again, i felt that i have done my best, and if i really had the chance to do it again, i would outdo myself and go right up, and not be impeded by the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Day 3 Reflections:
    The climb was worthwhile. Even though I didn't manage to climb all the way up to the summit, I really think that the 6km climb was worth it. Imagine, it's a few ten times higher than Bukit Timah Hill. So, to myself, it is still a great accomplishment. It's not that I didn't want to climb the Summit Trail. Who wouldn't want to grasp such opportunity? But the reason was because my legs were already cramped even before I slept that night. I wasn't fit enough to go. It took me some courage to say no though when the teacher asked if I could climb the summit. I am not the regretful type of person. Even though I missed the climb up to the summit, I know there are other chances where I can complete the climb. :)

    Puteri Nur Huda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes the climb was worthwhile, although I was literally freezed and injured and tired like everyone else, the sunrise and the view made it all worth it. Although it was only that, the fact that I had made it to the top, the fact that although how much I thought I couldn't, how much other people belive I couldn't, I had made, the sense of victory and achievment was one of the main part that made it all worth while

    ReplyDelete