Rafting at Kiulu River.
Learning about the culture of Sabah at Mari Mari Cultural Village.
Please reflect on the following questions:
1. How did you feel just before you stepped into the raft? What did you discover about yourself after that experience?
2. Name one thing about the way people in the past that struck you the most in Mari Mari Cultural Village. Why is it memorable to you? What is one thing you can learn from them?
3. Name one/two things that we can be thankful for in the 21st century.
~Looi Chi Han
ReplyDeleteQ1• Just before I stepped into the raft,, i felt a slight dizyness. Other than that, I was feeling confident. This is because, I felt that this was very easy as I have done something like this before. It was dragon boating. Furthermore, once I was splashed with water, my head stopped spinning instantanously. After that experience, I found that I was a confident person with a never give up attitude.
Q2•The one thing is that they were able to make a drink which makes us sleepy, good for those who are unable to sleep. I was astounded to seee so as in the ‘modern world’, there was no such thing, unless if you count sleeping pills which is bad for your health. This however, doesn’t. Instead, it is sweet as it is made out of honey. Alchohol on the other hand, is not suitable for ages below 18.
Q3• In the 21st century, there is more safety, thus, we had more freedom and thus, more fun when we were doing the water rafting.
In the 21st century, the technology is much better. For example, we are able to use lighters instead of having to use bamboo to start a fire.
Done By: Chua Tuan Jin
ReplyDeleteQ1. I felt excited and wet, as I knew I was going to have a new experience and good time. I discovered that I was a little more scared of water when I'm in open water than in the swimming pool as I found it harder to breathe.
Q2. It is the way one tribe made fire by using 100% of bamboo. It is memorable as that tribe made fire in a very interesting way. I learnt that they are very resourceful as there is not much around them to set a fire but they were able to set a fire with bamboo only.
Q3. I am thankful that in the 21st century, we have technology to improve our houses so that we have a clean house with no flies. We also have gas stoves to cook our food and lightings to light our homeland we do not have to set fires to cook our food and light our homes.
- I was very excited, as it was the first time I ever took part in rafting and it was indeed a great experience.However, I realised that I wasnt strong enough and often caused my team to hit the rocks or branches
ReplyDelete- The fact that they used only natural resources such as wood for their daily activities without the need of any electricity or technology struck me the most. Singaporeans, such as myself, often rely too much on Technology. For example, even when there's a small issue, such as a power failure, we'll be at loss as we do not know how to carry on our activities without electricity or technology. We'll also tend to make a big fuss out of such incidents without knowing how much we can learn from such incidents.
- I am extremely thankful for the people who helped in the evolution of technology and thus, improving the comfort of our lives and helping us in our daily activities
Matthew's Reflections
ReplyDeleteBefore I got onto the raft I was prepared as I have done it before
From Mari Mari Cultural Village I learnt that simple things can result into a very unexpected good result. Such as using a tree back as fabric material.
I appreciate the easily accessible water and other resources. I also appreciate the quality of our environment.
This part of the trip helped me relax from the much stressful journey up and down. I learnt that although I can solve things I do not do it in the best method possible. I feel that I am improving by being less strict.
I was really excited to go on the raft again as from last year's experience it was the most fun activity in the whole trip. My raft was very hyper, we sang and made jokes. What I have learnt from the rafting is that we have to work as a team and synchronise with each other in order to be better/faster than other rafts. I learnt that they are very good cooks. This struck me the most as I still cannot believe that the past people could make such good 'insomnia drink' and 'bee hoon biscuits'. It is the most memorable to be as it taste so good, its better than pizza and iced milo. I learnt that in this generation, we cannot live without technology and everyday we need to text or go online but the people in the past proved this wrong. We should live like them not in a way that we cannot use technology but in a way that we should not depend on it. I am really glad to have the gas cooker or else we would have to learn how to start up fires which could be very dangerous.
ReplyDeleteI felt ecstatic and tremendously happy as I was very excited to be river rafting as this was my favorite kind of activity, being near water. I was sure the rest of my group also felt similar to me as we all had a a blast splashing water at neighboring rafts. I discovered that I enjoyed working and playing with my friends in the raft and that it was essential to have good teamwork. I think the thing that struck me the most from the people from Mari-Mari Cultural Village was their ingenuity, being able to create such awesome and unique houses with the materials from nature. I learnt from them that as long as we have the determination to do something, we are able to accomplish it, as the people, with not as many resources, can still build such unique structures and this impacted me alot. I think we can be thankful for the modern technology that we have now that allows us to accomplish many tasks faster and easier. I am also thankful for such easy access to resources as the flick of a switch and we would have fire, while people back then had to spend so much time and effort for fire.
ReplyDeleteMarcus Chan S1-05
1) I was very excited and happy since it was going to be my very first time stepping into a raft and going water rafting.It was enjoyable and i had a whole load of fun,splashing water at friends and getting wet. I love water sports,it is fun and exciting to play, i will definitely want to join more.
ReplyDelete2)Their creativeness is the most memorable to me. They used strange ways to create things such as clothes and fire. I can learn to use my imagination more.
3)I am thankful for the modern technology so that we can do our things faster and easier.
~Xavier S1-08
1.I felt surprisingly worried about something rather silly!I laughed about it as i was writing my reflection.I was afraid that the guides would capsize our raft and that I would drown because I was not such a good swimmer.However,the instance I heard that we were rafting 7.5km,I was really thrilled(and sad for my arms).My legs were aching badly.(Everyone was coming down the steps from the bus that Mr Dennis took a video of it!)I guess I can really think about silly things that have 90% chance of not happening.
ReplyDelete2.There is a village built exactly like how it used to be years ago.So,even though the people there know do not follow the same traditions now,at least others can know and learn about it.What the do then that struck me so much was that they were so Eco friendly!Even though much wood is used,they do things so,naturally.We all should really appreciate the kind of easy life that we all live now.I'm going to certainly do my part in helping to make the world a greener place.I also want to think innovatively,productively and creatively.I want to think like how they racked their brains to come up with ideas so brilliant,for their daily needs.Another thought that stuck me was that they had to observe nature so much to learn how to go about their daily lives.Well,we have been taught many subjects!In fact,we cant survive a single day in the world without knowledge given to us from others.Learning from others is excellent and very essential..But to come up with all this by himself is really great and I really do admire them for that.
3.There are just so many things!Materials;glass,metal,fabric,plastic but the thing/things that I'm most grateful for is the stove and the lighter.If you gave me a bamboo tree for fire,I would take years to figure our how to use it;And longer to create the fire.
1. I was actually quite scared that the boat will capsize and that I would drop into the shallow water. I realized that I was actually quite brave as I also tried the body rafting and that I also persevere and kept paddling even though I was really tired.
ReplyDelete2.The thing that struck me the most was that how the depend on themselves for a living. We, the children of this generation, had to depend on others, while the people from the past rely only on themselves. I feel that we can be more independent and not always depend on others. I also admire their creativity, able to make a jacket out of a tree trunk.
3.Things are much easier to do now with machines and life is also much easier. Everything is much easier to get and we do not have to 'hunt' for things.
~Pang Cheng Feng S101
ReplyDelete1) I already felt elated before I even stepped in the boat. Looking that it was formed naturally, it was hard to believe! I had a little fear the boat was going to capsize, thank god it didn't! My limbs were aching but it was worth all the fun!
2) The village members are loyal to their tribes. They have their own unique ways of doing things. For them, they use what they can find, to do for their daily needs, since they have no one else to rely on. Everything has to be done by themselves. The part where they shouted at us scared me a little bit but it was still a good experience!
3) I am thankful for all the easily achievable resources and advanced technology! If there was no technology, I couldn't be doing this reflection online right now! We are lucky since we don't have to do everything ourselves now too!
Chin Yong
ReplyDelete1)I felt nervous as I was afraid of what would happen if I were to fall off the raft as the rapids were quite strong and the river bed was very rocky.Another reason was because Enoch said he was going to pull us off our boats before we started.I discovered that I can persevere even though I am tired.
2)What struck me was how creative they were in being able to make use of nature(e.g.The vest made out of tree bark and how they started a fire using only bamboo.)It is memorable to me as I would never be able to think of such things.one thing that we can learn from them is that we have to be creative and think out of the box in order to come up with new things.
3)One thing that we can be thankful of is the gas stove which allows us to use fire effortlessly unlike how they needed to start a fire in the past.Something else are fans and air conditioners which cool down a room efficiently unlike what the villagers had to do to cool down their houses which was to make a special roof.But even with these roofs it was still difficult as the needed to lift the flap up which was very heavy.
1) I told myself that I wanted to have fun during the rafting as it was one of the activities that I was looking forward to. At the end of the activity, I realised that having fun is not everything and that safety was very important especially when we were doing an activity like water rafting where there was some level of danger.
ReplyDelete2) What struck me was that they lived simply but comfortably. They were able to cook nice food with primitive and little resources. It made me feel pampered living such a comfortable and modern lifestyle in Singapore and that it was good to give ourselves some "hardships" once in a while.
3) We can be thankful for easy access of electricity which allows us to do many things.
Greg Lim
ReplyDelete1. How did you feel just before you stepped into the raft? What did you discover about yourself after that experience?
I felt scared that I may drop out of the raft and drown.I found out that the water was so fun.
2. Name one thing about the way people in the past that struck you the most in Mari Mari Cultural Village. Why is it memorable to you? What is one thing you can learn from them?
How they kill people mercilessly.It is very scary how they do it.How they make their food.
3. Name one/two things that we can be thankful for in the 21st century.
The lighter.
1)How did you feel just before you stepped into the raft? What did you discover about yourself after that experience?
ReplyDeleteI felt really great after the tiring experience experienced on the mountain and this activity seemed a lot easier than rafting down another river harsher than Kiulu River.When I stepped into the raft,
the cooling waters cooled my nerves after waking up late.I found out that I was the one in superior making the choice of whether to give up or continue and not my physical fitness.
2)Name one thing about the way people in the past that struck you the most in Mari Mari Cultural Village. Why is it memorable to you? What is one thing you can learn from them?
It was surprising to see how the families in the past were caring to
each other and how close they was with each other.This applies to most of the tribes that we came across today.It was memorable because it was quite amazing to see one whole tribe living in a single long house with the same common area and how to uphold their responsibilities for each other.We can learn from them to be more responsible in doing our parts in what we are assigned to do.
3)Name one/two things that we can be thankful for in the 21st century.
I am thankful for the advanced technology that allows us to do things quicker and with ease.I am also thankful for the laws and order that had been installed to keep everyone safe and sound.
Dion Low
ReplyDelete1) I felt very excited as it was my first time rafting. I discovered that I can persevere if I want to, and especially if I have a goal to complete, else I would not be able to complete what I am supposed to.
2) It was the way they started a fire. It was most memorable as it reminded me of how the people in the past had a hard time starting a fire. It also told me that we should make good use of the technology we have now. We can learn from them that we should be resourceful instead of asking for more resources.
3) We can be thankful for the technology that allows our lives to be better like starting a fire easily compared to the people in the past.
1.I was excited but worried that the raft would capsized. I found that I was enjoying water rafting.
ReplyDelete2.They did not use any electricity.We rely on a lot of things that use electricity and we cannot live without it.I learnt that we can be as independent as them.
3.The computer.
Done by Ng Yu Yang
I felt really excited because I could not wait for the amount of fun we were going to have.I discovered that i can encourage my friends greatly.
ReplyDeleteHow they made their houses, clothes and equipment with just bamboo. I cannot imagine how they can survive just making everything with bamboo. Man uses their surrounding to survive.
We have inventors to come up with things that simplify our life.
At first I was slightly scared that the raft would capsize. After the experience I realised I enjoy water rafting and working as a team.
ReplyDeleteThe people used normal things that they could find and turned it into something useful. They were very innovative and I learnt how to be creative.
Technology
Odelia Goh
ReplyDelete1.I was really really excited as it seemed the most fun out of all the activities and I was right! :P I love the rapids ^^ I learned that I can be pretty daring at times and water rafting is awesome.
2. I found out that people in the olden days are very resourceful and creative as they were able to make a vest out of tree bark and build houses from bamboo. Different tribes have different houses which has something special. We should learn to be as creative as them.
3. Two things I am thankful for in the 21st century is the air conditioner and electrical lights.The houses were really dark.
1) I felt excited as it was my first time going white water rafting and i heard from the seniors that they had enjoyed it very much as it was alot of fun. I discovered that i am a very adventureous person because, after that unique experience, I wanted more.
ReplyDelete2) The thing that struck me the most in Mari Mari Cultural Village is that the people there can live without internet. It is the most memorable thing because i cant imagine living without internet because I wont be able to communicate with my friends freely and listen/watch videos. I can learn that I must have self-discipline so that i am able to control myself from relying too much on the internet.
3) Internet and Stoves
1)When i first stepped into the raft, i was very excited and anxious as it was the first time rafting with my friend. In the middle of the raft, i found out that teamwork was very important as if you had no teamwork, the boat would keep on spinning.
ReplyDelete2) What struck me most was the person starting the fire using the bamboo husk. From that, we could know how the past works and not rely so much on modern technology as it takes up natural resource.
3)Technology and innovation. Without them, nothing of your past or your life would be comfortable and lights,computers, television would be just a dream.
1) I was excited as I have only once ever been into a raft. And was really struck to me was that I enjoyed swimming and everyone was not concerned about the 'not-so-clean-like-swimming-pools' kind of water. We all just wanted to have fun.
ReplyDelete2) They are all unique to their tribes, with different styles and creations. It reminds me that everyone is unique and special to their own self and we should accept each other's uniqueness.
3) The Internet and technology. It has helped us make work easier and it also gives us information.
- I didn't feel as scared as I thought I would. After climbing up the mountain, rafting doesn't seem to be scary at all. It was hot but after getting into the raft and being splashed in ice-cold water by the rafting guides and the other groups, it felt better.
ReplyDelete-That the men and women there are match-made by their parents even as early as birth. They were not given a choice of who they wanted to marry. In modern times, we find and choose our own partners.
-The freedom in choosing our partners and Technology/Internet we have.
1) I felt very excited. This was an entirely new experience for me! I felt that I became more sociable and that I could make friends easily.
ReplyDelete2) THe people in Mari Mari Cultural Village surprised me with their creativity in creating their wine. Their alcoholic drinks made me realise that the people in Mari Mari Cultural Village were quite "modern" as the wine they created was very nice tasting even though they were made a long time ago.
3) We can be thankful for the presence of technology and the abundance of clean water. Technology has helped us to discover many new types of medicine and clean water has prevented us from easily catching fatal diseases.
Day 4 Reflections:
ReplyDeleteI have been water rafting once and when I saw it, I think I'd kind of underestimated it. It may have looked calm but it was actually quite challenging at the same time. I discovered that I had more confident than I thought I had.
I didn't know bamboo was that big of a source to them. To me. basically I thought they were tall plants shooting out if the ground. I didn't know bamboo was that useful. They practically use it for everyday life cooking and also starting a fire. One thing that I can definitely learn from them is that they're super creative. They make use of the resources and things that they could find around them and make them useful. One thing I am super thankful for living in the 21st century is the fridge. I observed the and wondered how they could survive without. No wonder they wore less clothes to keep them cool. Even their juice is normal temperature. For a moment I thought they were going to give something cool since it was a 'juice'.
Puteri Nur Huda
1. I felt extremely exited once I stepped into a raft, as it had been a long time I had ever been in one. I was also quite happy as all my friends were also in the same raft as me so I knew that whether we would go slow or fast it would be enjoyable. After finishing the water rafting, I realised what good arm strength we all had and how important team work was
ReplyDelete2.What struck me the most in the mari-mari village is on how they used such ordinary things as weapons, the very spitball machine I used in class, was used by them to kill animals, I was amazed on how they managed to use our playthings as weapons.
3. Food, we should be thankful that we dont have to hunt for food and almost everything we eat is almost always redemade.